Reconstruction 1950 to 1961
In 1949, the rubble was cleared away and other damaged masonry on the north side of the nave was demolished. From June to October 1950, structural support work was carried out on the church. The reconstruction of the destroyed church was only made possible due to the great dedication and personal commitment of the people of Zyfflich.
Architectural investigations and excavations in1950 and 1951 led to important insights into the original structure of the Romanesque church. Thus, for example, a font from the original monastery church was discovered (a circular tuff stone construction with a diameter of 3 metres).
The restauration of the building, construction of the nave and expansion of the layout to three naves took until 1956. The artists Alfred Göhre from Düsseldorf and Ludwig Baur from Telgte undertook the subsequent interior design.
The church was reconsecrated on the 7th/8th of October 1961. The whole parish celebrated this event with a festival weekend.